Manager: Gerard McDonough
Transportation Coordinator: Jennifer Tomasello
For those children being transported by Head Start, safety is our main priority. A two-person rule is always followed while children are on the bus. Also, the following procedures are put into place for everyone's safety during pick-up and drop-off times.
Pick up at Home:
1. Children should be at least 10 feet from the bus when it stops.
2. Children should wait for the bus to come to a complete stop before entering.
3. The bus monitor will assist the child to their assigned seat and buckle up the harness.
Drop off at School:
1. The monitor will count how many children are on the bus before unloading.
2. Monitor should assist the children off the bus and then do a check of the bus to determine no other children are remaining on the bus.
3. Monitor should count and confirm to the teacher the number of children that are exiting the bus.
4. After the last child is off the bus, the monitor will check the bus again and make sure to push the bus check/safety button.
5. Driver should wait until all children have left the area surrounding the bus before leaving.
Lastly, safety precautions that staff take to protect children are not limited to centers, but begin when a child boards a bus, continues throughout the day, and ends only when the child is released to his or her parent. Therefore, the program’s effort to provide high-level services to children and families encompass transportation.